[PD] GEM external "pd_darwin: mach-o, but wrong architecture"

Antoine Villeret antoine.villeret at gmail.com
Mon May 4 19:29:02 CEST 2015

> Hi Antoine,
>
> Thanks for the info and the reference page.
>
> When I open the 64 bit version of Pd it cannot open the OS X precompiled
> version of GEM I downloaded from http://gem.iem.at/: "no matching
> architecture in universal wrapper". I used to be able to compile an
> external and use it with this version of GEM, but this strategy might not
> work anymore.

oups sorry, I've read your first message too quickly, I was thinking you
were building Gem itself.

> I tried:
>
> ./configure --enable-fat-binary=i386
> --with-pd=/Applications/Pd-0.45-4.app/Contents/Resources/
>
> then make pix_demo.pd_darwin, but when I try to create the object in Pd I
> get:
>
> /Users/jo57/Documents/NYU/Courses/2015-1-IMG-SND-GESTURE/session-13/Gem-master/extra/pix_demo/pix_demo.pd_darwin:
> dlopen(/Users/jo57/Documents/NYU/Courses/2015-1-IMG-SND-GESTURE/session-13/Gem-master/extra/pix_demo/pix_demo.pd_darwin,
> 10): Symbol not found: __ZN7GemBase14beforeDeletionEv
>   Referenced from:
> /Users/jo57/Documents/NYU/Courses/2015-1-IMG-SND-GESTURE/session-13/Gem-master/extra/pix_demo/pix_demo.pd_darwin
>   Expected in: flat namespace
>  in
> /Users/jo57/Documents/NYU/Courses/2015-1-IMG-SND-GESTURE/session-13/Gem-master/extra/pix_demo/pix_demo.pd_darwin
>  pix_demo
> ... couldn't create

I'm not sure to undestand well what you're trying to do
are you trying to make an external that uses Gem (and Pd) ?
or are you trying to build Gem and add it an extra object ?

For the former, you can have a look at some Gem external like pix_opencv
[1] or pix_openni [2].
pix_opencv build system is based on autotools like Gem.
pix_openni Makefile is based on external template [3].

For the later, you have to modify Makefile.am and probably configure.ac too
to include your external.
But in this case, you may want to start by adding your source to a known
folder (like Geos or something like that) rather than making a new folder
for it.

I think the first case is the easiest.

Best

[1] : https://github.com/avilleret/pix_opencv