[PD] Echo supressor.

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Fri May 8 00:11:40 CEST 2015

Hi Mario,

I know how to solve this problem, but I'm only part-way there.  I have a
similar problem, rejecting feedback when processing acoustic instruments.
I'm sorry I didn't post what I've got sooner--it needs some more work.  I
can't really tell if I'll be finished with a decent patch soon.

I'm almost through with the derivation in high-level symbolic math, so you
can follow along with the patch and work on it too.

See the latency tester first.  It plays noise from to [dac~] and pics up
the signal from [adc~].  If you want to get a really clean graph for
measuring your system latency, do a loopback test with the cable running
from output to input on your audio interface.  It should run reasonably
well over loudspeakers and will tell you the round trip latency.  There are
two sliders where you can adjust delay to the input (mic) signal or the
output (speaker) signal.

Next, there's the spectrum analyzer patch.  Open the spect-2048_test.pd
patch, then right click on [spect-2048] and open it.  This solves the
spectrum analysis problem on block size 2048.  The result is just written
to some tables in [spect-2048], for you to visually see it.

When it's set to run on block size 16384, it needs to have about 90-100 ms
of latency (don't even try opening it, without the audio buffer length
turned up).

Once you've captured an impulse with the spectrum analyzer as it is now,
you'd have to save the impulse to a file and then re-open with your runtime
patch (and lower latency settings).  The patch spect-16384_test.pd patch
does a better job of calculating the impulse response than the 2048 block
size patch.

I'd like to have reduced latency to run the spectrum analyzer patch with
larger block sizes (for which I need a different [xcov~] that works well on
overlapped block sizes).  The syntax of [xcov~] is already so ugly and will
get worse with overlapped blocks.

Also, the spectrum analyzer math needs a little work.  More to come...

Chuck