[PD] [PD-announce] WebPd 0.3.0 released

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri May 8 03:33:56 CEST 2015

On 05/07/2015 01:56 AM, s p wrote:
> > 1) removing tcl specific code from the c code, replacing with
> something that looks similar to pd_vmess
>
> I am curious, why not using libpd?

Because it lacks infinite undo, presets, and various other improvements
that exist already in Pd-l2ork
and have been used/tested there.

But if you are asking why I'm incrementally porting the tcl/tk gui calls
instead of starting fresh with
a new interface on top of libpd, it's because building a new GUI from
scratch (and remaining backwards
compatible) is simply too difficult.

-Jonathan

> > 2) porting the gui to nw.js (toolkit that is node.js + chromium + a
> few OS hooks)
>
> So when the porting is done all the GUI code is JS/HTML/SVG/CSS ?

Yes.  That means a patch can be inspected using devtools-- frames per
second displayed in realtime, repaint areas
highlighted in realtime, js profiling, DOM point-and-click inspection...

Actually that last one has made several subtle bugs much easier to
squash.  Instead of reading reams of socket
data, you can sometimes just spot duplicated or erroneous elements in
the DOM.  (Plus turn CSS attrs on and off...)

It's like programming in the 21st century. :)

-Jonathan