[PD] pure data benchmark?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 11 13:12:35 CEST 2015

On 05/11/2015 10:48 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:

> One problem with (totally un-scientific) benchmarking I've seen on Linux
> (on laptops and with Jack Audio) is that there are a few factors sucha
> as cpu scaling, wifi on/off, swappiness.. and

i'm wondering about swapiness...if your system does start to swap during
performance, than you are f*ed anyhow.

but yes, there are some easy to fix (as in "fixate") parameters, that
should be mentioned when doing anything "benchmark"-like.

> Add GEM (and video cards, drivers.. ) and 'benchmarking' probably
> becomes a sort of black magic.

no, it's not black magic; it simply does not make much sense.

it's plain impossible to design a benchmark that yields a single
comparable number that can be applied to all use cases.

if we want to do proper benchmarking, then we need a set of patches that
tests for different aspects of your system.

it's also hard to design a benchmark that tests (say) multichannel audio
I/O (i'm imagening something like >64 channels) and that should provide
meaningful results on a stereo system.

gfmards
IOhannes