[PD] pd-extended/pd-l2ork not loading pngs

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 18 10:46:16 CEST 2015

On 2015-05-17 22:00, Antonio Roberts wrote:
> I recently upgraded to Ubuntu 15.04. One of the many many problems I
> experienced is that I'm no longer able to load pngs using [pix_image].
> The only error I get when I try to do this is:
>
> [pix_image]: failed to load image 'testimage.png'
>
> Any clues as to where the problem is?

Gem uses a plugin system for imageloading (and other platform dependent
things, like video acquisition), which means that if your system lacks a
needed library, the imageloading plugin will fail to load butthe rest of
Gem will still work as expected.
the failed plugin will not be able to provide images, so you might end
up with reduced functionality.

so the upgrade *might* have removed some libraries (or upgraded them to
incompatible versions) required to load png files.

start Pd from the cmdline
check for errors printed to the terminal (esp. when Gem is loaded)
check for messages on the Pd-console.
when you create the first [pix_image] instance, it should¹ print a line
like: "Image loading support: magick".
what does it tell you?

fgasmdr
IOhannes

¹ at least it does so with current Gem (from git); i cannot remember how
it was with 0.93