[PD] -midiadddev

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Fri May 22 05:17:14 CEST 2015

* IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> [2015-05-21 17:58]:
> On 05/21/2015 10:45 PM, Peter P. wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I am wondering how to use the -midiadddev flags. What is the difference
> > between -mididev and -midiadddev, and does this apply to midi on a linux
> > system?
> >
> > The mailing list search engine reveals no result for the searchstring
> > "midiadddev" strangely, so here we go.
> >
> > Furthermore, when using alsa-midi, is there a way to set the connections
> > on the alsa patchbay from within vanilla Pd (sans using IOhannes'
> > aconnect external nor aconnect from the command line after Pd has been
> > started)?
>
> i usually use qjackctl for that which despite it's name can also handle
> alsa midi and can monitor connections to auto-connect (or disconnect)
> them by name.

Yes, that's what I am using until now as well, but I would like to avoid
qjackctl's auto-connect in order to keep my midi connection scheme
independent, on a per-patch basis, within the startup shell script, but
without spawning a second (aconnect) process after launching Pd.

But I think I remember Miller once explained on this list why including
aconnect's functionality within Pd itself was somehow difficult or not
advisable.

thanks, P