[PD] -midiadddev

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Sun May 31 03:46:39 CEST 2015

Dear Antoine,

* Antoine Villeret <antoine.villeret at gmail.com> [2015-05-30 15:56]:
> Hi,
>
> as it is defined in Pd's source, on line 98 of s_midi_alsa.c, the "Pure
> Data" name of Alsa Sequencer Client is fixed.
> And it is the same for all instance of Pd.
Yes, they only get higher client index numbers assigned as individual
instances are created.

> As far I know there is no way to change a client name from another client
> (I tried to do so without success by modifying aconnect).
This is not what I had in mind, I was just curious if a Pd instance
knows about its own client name and, especially, index number, so that
further actions (aconnect object, aconnect binary via shell external,
...) can be taken without confusing instances.

> But maybe it could be a nice feature to be able to choose the Pure Data
> alsa sequencer client name.
Hm, this could be a nice solution to avoid ambiguity.

> For example with a string following the -alsamidi flag and/or in the midi
> settings dialog box.
Actually it would also be sufficient to specify the other alsamidi ports
this instance of Pd should connect to. But I am not sure if this can be
done, and I remember Miller or someone else once explaining why it is
hard to do.

[...]
> > In case someone started following this thread by now only, let me sum up:
> >
> > I am still looking for a way how to have Pd connect to alsa midi devices
> > by their name, and without possible confusion with other Pd instances on
> > the same machine. This is on Linux.

Peter