[PD] olimex board

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Sun May 31 10:30:36 CEST 2015

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 9:52 AM, Raphaël Ilias <phae.ilias at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Updating this thread about Olimex's OlinuXino board (A20-LIME & A20-LIME2)
> I still get the following error (in fact the console gets filled with dozens
> of them in a few seconds) :
>
> "ALSA output error (restart failed): Broken pipe"
>
> And the all DSP gets "stuck", it is not computed anymore (i.e. [env~]
> doesn't output anymore). I tried to make an abstraction to detect that dsp
> isn't "active" and restart it (";pd dsp 0", then ";pd dsp 1" -- the DSP
> button stays ticked).
>
> This error appears at every startup of pd, and then randomly, I think mostly
> when opening new patcher window or on CPU load peaks. In general, pd's gui
> is quite slow (maybe normal on such board), and - don't know if this is
> related - sometimes Xorg crashes (I'm using the precooked debian
> distribution by Olimex)
>
> I remember to read on this list that Raspberry Pi users should use a patched
> version of vanilla for ARM processors, isn't it ? (And Julian also adviced
> me to avoid pd-extended)

That patched version had a fix for denormal numbers on ARM, but the
fix was included in vanilla Pd soon after. If you use latest vanilla
Pd from Miller's site, chances are best that it will work with an ARM
board. On Raspberry Pi 2 at least it works well for me, but it is
still easy to mess things up: a short current consumption peak may
cause a power brown out which in turn shoots the usb audio card.
Therefore I got used to handle RPi with more care than a robust
laptop: load Pd, wait till it has everything initialized, then turn
dsp on, then load a cpu intensive patch.