[PD] Sensing if an object is selected

Liam Goodacre liamg_uw at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 1 22:03:55 CEST 2015

I am looking for a way to sense if a particular subpatch object has been selected in the parent window (selected as in highlighted in blue on the screen). [iemguts/canvasselect] almost does it for me, but not quite. This object will give a list of all objects that are selected, but I am looking for something that lets out a bang or a 1 when its containing subpatch is selected and a 0 when it is deselected. Does anyone know if this is possible?
Before anyone suggests it, a bang hidden under a canvas to sense the mouse click won’t do in this case. Also ineffective would be a hacked up combination of [canvasselect] and [canvasindex]. This might work, except that it would take a [metro] object to power it, and overuse of [metro] is precisely the problem that I am trying to solve.