[PD] Fwd: Patch acting weird with Pd 0.46.6

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jun 3 16:37:51 CEST 2015

On 06/03/2015 03:52 PM, Pierre Massat wrote:
> Hi IOhannes,
>
> I modified my patch accordingly (see attachement), but this doesn't make
> any difference. It is still behaving as described in my first message.
> If I remember correctly Miller doesn't use a trigger after a counter in the

this doesn't mean much.

my point was that you were sending data to the counter from both
branches of the fan-out (once the ordinary count-down; then the reset).
which is usually the cause for much confusion (and probably something
not found in miller's help files).

anyhow.

> Have you (has anyone) tried my patch ? I have tried in 0.46.6 on both Linux
> and Win 7 and I get the same baffling results.

i did, but and i noticed that the counter was counting backward or not,
depending on the (missing) [trigger].

i though that was your problem.
obviously not.

i now think that your problem is, that you are indeed missing a
[trigger] for the [print output] object¹.

if [print output] get's connected after the [== 47], then entire loop
will go on the stack, and [print output] will only produce output when
unwinding the stack: which is in the reverse order.

-> noweirdo-1.pd

in general it is better to use iterative structures rather than
recursive structures.
for one thing, they don't get you into weird stack unwinding (since you
don't use the stack excessively).
for another thing, Pd's stack depth is pretty limited (400 or so), so a
recursive version of your patch only works for short texts.

-> noweirdo-2.pd

gsamdr
IOhannes

¹ ha! i told you: *always* use [trigger] :-)