[PD] Patch acting weird with Pd 0.46.6

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 10:03:59 CEST 2015

Dear all,

Just to give you my modest input on this discussion.
I just looked at IOhannes' last patch and now I got it. The mistake I made
was to believe that print would send the current value to the console at
each step of the loop (like print in a for loop in Python for instance),
and that the firing order just before the print only mattered at "micro"
level.
Now of course I understand why I was wrong, after looking up depth first on
the web.

I've been using Pd regularly for 7 years now, so I don't consider myself a
complete beginner. I use triggers a lot, and only use fan outs when I think
the order of events is not critical. For 7 years I've believed that
triggers only worked at "micro" level to sequence events that are on the
same "level". Of course now I know that this assumption was completely
wrong, and if I had tried harder to understand how events are sequenced at
"macro" (whole tree) level this would have been obvious.

Honestly I think that this particular problem should be explained much more
clearly in the manual, in the depthfirst example file, and perhaps in the
trigger help file. I wonder how many people in the pd-list would make the
same mistake.

Anyway, than you again for your enlightening responses.

Pierre.