[PD] Mess and redundancy in the Pd eco system

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Sat Jun 6 11:42:26 CEST 2015

On 2015-06-06 02:07 AM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> I'd actually like to know better the issues behind extended, and why is
> it so hard to just update it to the newer vanilla version and let people
> manage/update the libraries/externals...
>
> Why, for instance, can't I update a library like cyclone and release a
> new updated version of extended (let it be 0.43) with the updated
> objects? What's the deal?

If you want Pd-extended 0.43 with the latest cyclone, the simplest way
_now_ would be to replace the cyclone directory in your Pd-extended
installation with the content of the appropriate zip on my site.

The build farm that used to create Pd-extended for all platforms is no
more. Only one server is buiding a distribution
(debian-wheezy-amd64.deb), but it is based on old sources, not the
latest from the svn/git repositories. The 'update link' between the
repositories and build server is also gone.

Roman accurately described the problems with maintaining Pd-extended as
is. Apparently nobody has the time _and_ knowledge _and_ resources to do
it. The 'vanilla' route seems more viable as it distributes the effort
over more people.

Greetings,

Fred Jan