[PD] Problems with maintaining Pd-extended (was Mess and redundancy...)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 17:16:56 CEST 2015

Hi, this seems more of an accurate thread name for this so I changed it.

So, last time anyone discussed about the future of Extended was in the turn
of the year 6 months ago, and it kinda led nowhere. I'm aware there are
issues around, but I'd to know them in more details, please, if anyone
could tell me.

> Roman accurately described the problems with maintaining Pd-extended as
> is. Apparently nobody has the time _and_ knowledge _and_ resources to do
> it. The 'vanilla' route seems more viable as it distributes the effort
> over more people.

Please include me in the category of people who have no knowledge :)

In general, I get this problem, but I'd like to know more deeply why and
how come it is like it is. I might not be able to do the job myself, but I
guess I can understand the concept of things, how they work, and why it is
problematic. The 'vanilla' route is something I'm ok with, I even kinda
proposed it. But I'd like to insist in the extended route one last time,
until I see the problems it has and agree, in the end, that is best to
forget and discard it. So, questions:

- Why does the maintenance of Extended have to be concentrated in "one
person" - as opposed to distributing it to more people? I see it's too much
for one person, but why is it a a too complex task to be distributed among
many?

> The build farm that used to create Pd-extended for all platforms is no
> more. Only one server is buiding a distribution
> (debian-wheezy-amd64.deb), but it is based on old sources, not the
> latest from the svn/git repositories. The 'update link' between the
> repositories and build server is also gone.

- How come so much stuff is "gone" or "no more"? I see it hasn't been
maintained, but that the whole structure fell into pieces and would have to
be rebuilt "from scratch" is something else. Ok, so it seems someone needs
to take care of everything or it'll eventually vanish, but please give me
some details why this happens. Moreover, how hard would it be to put it all
back and running?

> Personally, I suffer most from the fact, that Pd-extended is a
> separately maintained Pd with patches on one hand

- Yeah, I see it is a "different" software/distribution. It's based on
vanilla, but it has other features. Perhaps this is the key point making it
too hard to take it further. I guess I can get that, but I still hope to
get more details about it. For instance, it's not clear to me why it always
had to be one or two versions behind vanilla. Why is it so hard to just get
the latest vanilla and "extend" it?

>From what I see, it seems to me that the development of Pd software was
never distributed amongst many, as in the hands of an actual community of
developers. Miller maintains vanilla on his own. Correct if I'm wrong, but
PD2Lork is also not driven by a team. Another example: Desire Data. Anyway,
regarding extended, it seems it always depended too much in Hans himself
than a group of developers. The developers in the Pd world seem to be
always people in separate projects, such as in the development of
externals/packages, but never in the conjunct task of making software
available.

So, is my observation right? Have people really never ever joined up as a
community to distribute software? If so, how come?

This aspect for me is the key to why something like extended or whatever
won't be able to exist. Technical details aside, if there's no dev group,
there's nothing. So this is very important I guess.

I know I'm missing much of the technical details, but my idea is that if Pd
Extended is up and running, it should be fairly easy for people to update
libraries (like Fred is doing with cyclone now) and release an updated
version with the updated objects... meaning we didn't have to wait for two
years for a bug fix. But somehow this only makes sense in the "vanilla
route".

Please help me out trying to figure this all out.

Thanks folks