[PD] expr "copysign" function doesn't seem to work

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Jun 8 04:07:29 CEST 2015

Hi Alexandre,

Thanks for your investigations and bug reports - that is important work.

On 08/06/15 05:40, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> But I'd still like to know if anyone can fix this. I'm not sure how the
> authorship works in this particular example. I know it's an "extra"
> feature in vanilla, not maintained by miller, and it has a different
> license than Pd's.

The license is LGPL so it is compatible.

The last bugfix in expr~ was made by Miller on Sun Oct 12, 2014 and
specifically references a Source Forge ticket somebody filed, so I don't
think "not maintained by miller" is accurate.

As IOhannes said, a helpful thing would be filing these issues in the
tracker at Source Forge and that will hopefully result in the bug
getting fixed.

Even more helpful would be if you forked the Pd git repository, fixed
the bug, and then sent a patch to Miller. :)

git://git.code.sf.net/p/pure-data/pure-data

> Well, maybe I could generalize this issue to any other objects and
> libraries, because I see many of them marked as being maintained by some
> people, but they don't really seem to be so in the real world. Another
> example is that I pointed a bug about [partconv~] to the
> author/maintainer and he said he was aware of it but "didn't have time
> to work on it"... so, can they all be fixed and maintained by anyone?
> should we revise the externals and libraries to see if we see new
> maintainers or mark them as unmaintained?

Anybody is free to update the code. At the moment there is some friction
because you need to have access to the SVN repository on Source Forge. I
hope it will become easier to just externals fork code, modify it, host
it wherever you like as mentioned in a different thread.

This would make it easier when an external like [partconv~] is abandoned
- you could fork it, change it, build and upload new binaries for users
of the external with your fix.

Cheers,

Chris.

--