[PD] Miller's Moogfilter

Billy Stiltner billy.stiltner at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 06:06:54 CEST 2015

Finally got around to trying the new bob~ filter.
Works really really great.
I found that my keyboard (midi note) scaling  of frequency  logic was
causing the frequency to go way too high when modulating thefilter
frequency so I can use a kb tracking value of < 1 and the squelching
doesn't happen. The audio rate q is great.  My favorite way to use it is
with 2 lfos, one lfo modulating the  frequency of the other lfo  and the
other modulating the filter q. This  along with an envelope  makes the
synth sound as if it's a stratocaster connected to a mashal amp and making
wobbly feedback sounds when the filter starts ringing.
Besides that it's a really awesome moog emulator. On another note I removed
all the IEM filter bank and tracked down some excess midi notein messages,
my synth now is playable live with the fractal sequencer as well as
qtractor sequencing without glitching.
Take note Ed Kelly. I noticed after a fresh install of ubuntu studio  on a
fresh machine 64 bit that the IEMlib was missing lots of objects, so I
looked on my old laptop and seen a folder in pdextended/ext that I had
named "deletethis" with note that iemcot4~ was not actually iemcot4! . I
remembered I had to compile the 64 bit iemlib myself and had to fudge in
some of the functions.  So instead of copying over my compiled iemlib , I
just erased my iemlib filter bank. it was kinda monstrouswith way too many
objects. 2 sets of 9 filters for each   of the 6 voices per synth. only 1
filter out of the 9 was active per bank but there were all those control
objects that were used to select and turn off the inactive filters. I'm not
sure why but my DSP cookbook filters implemented in fexp~ sound pretty good
to be converted from c code I wrote like in 1998. I guess they are a bit
processor hungry  not sure how much better they would be as an external
instead of  in an fexpr~.
Anyways great job on the bob~ and on the new pd.