[PD] creb's cheby~ could/should have normalized waveshaping tables

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Thu Jun 18 10:06:24 CEST 2015

Hi Alexandre,

> Hi Fred Jan, I see you are also providing downloadables for creb's
> library. Have you been working on bug fixes and its help files as well
> (or planning to)?

No. The chaos, creb and mrpeach binary distributions are part of the
demonstration package for pdlibbuilder, a new build package designed to
replace the template makefile system from pd-extended.

For now, I have enough to do on cyclone. I might submit an occasional
patch if I find an issue elsewhere (like the garray_getarrayfloats()
problems), but do not intend to maintain more libraries for now.

> I'd be glad to help managing ths library as well, I can work on help
> files. I also have a few bugs and suggestions.

By all means, submit them. Once you have a good description of the
behaviour and its problems, you are more than halfway in fixing the
actual code!

> I'd like to start with [cheby~], it works great for the most part
> actually, but it really should have a feature to normalize the chebyshev
> waveshaping table - this is because it'll blow up pretty badly when the
> given coefficients generate a table that goes over the -1 to 1 limit.
>
> Since it's just too hard to calculate in your head the limits of the
> table when giving the coefficients, the object could do it for us. I
> assume that normalizing the table in the code is trivial. Perhaps a
> flag/message sent to the object could turn normalization on/off.
>
> cheers

Greetings,

Fred Jan