[PD] Troubles running Pd on Windows XP Professional

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 20:43:29 CEST 2015

On Mit, 2015-06-24 at 09:52 -0700, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I've been testing Pd vanilla on a windows XP professional machine (shh...)
> Perhaps there's some DLL or something that Pd needs that my machine is
> supplying - assuming you're still getting the behavior you were earlier:
>
> spawnl: Invalid argument
> C:\pds\pd-043.1test5\bin\wish85.exe: couldn't load TCL
>
> ...can you try tunning  C:\pds\pd-043.1test5\bin\wish85.exe from teh command
> line to see what errors you get?

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. From cmd.exe:

----
C:\puredata\pd-0.43.1test5\bin>wish85.exe
The system cannot execute the specified program.

C:\puredata\pd-0.43.1test5\bin>echo %errorlevel%
9020
----

This also wrote messages to the system's event log. Those suggested,
that some dlls are missing. It turned out, that msvcr90.dll was missing,
which is part of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable
Package" [1]. After installing it, Pd could be started.

I don't know why some systems have it apparently installed, others
don't.

The file has a size of 640kB (ought to be enough for everyone). Could it
be statically linked so that it works everywhere? (I hope what I am
saying does make any sense.)

Roman

[1] https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29