[PD] Troubles running Pd on Windows XP Professional

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 23:19:03 CEST 2015

On Don, 2015-06-25 at 07:54 -0700, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I'm not sure, but I think that's not a problem...  I dound something about
> that here:
>
> http://www.dependencywalker.com/faq.html
>
> (third question in the FAQ).
>
> But meanwhile, is it still the case that wish85.exe can't run on a pristine
> windows XP machine???

pd.exe and wish85.exe exit immediately with a non-zero error level. When
starting wish85.exe, I get three messages in the event viewer:

Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.CRT could not be found and Last Error
was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Resolve Partial Assembly failed for Microsoft.VC90.CRT. Reference error
message: The referenced assembly is not installed on your system.

Generate Activation Context failed for c:\puredata\pd-0.46-7test\bin
\wish85.exe. Reference error message: The operation completed
successfully.

When I load wish85.exe on my Windows XP at home (the one missing
msjava.dll was another machine), those are listed as missing:

IESHIMS.DLL
WER.DLL

Actually, both seem to be related to IE 8 being installed on this
machine (contrary to the other machine where still IE 6 rules). Also,
when I load regsvr32.exe I get the same result, which makes me think
that they can be ignored. The same probably applies to msjava.dll, as
you already pointed out.

Then I did, what the fifth paragraph of DependencyWalker's FAQ suggests:
I loaded regsvr32.exe with DependencyWalker and ran it with wish85.exe
as argument. Now those DLLs are labeled missing, too:

MSVCR90.DLL
TCL85.DLL
TK85.DLL

(see: http://www.netpd.org/~roman/tmp/regsvr32_exe_wish85.png )