[PD] Troubles running Pd on Windows XP Professional

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Fri Jun 26 08:55:14 CEST 2015

On Thu, 2015-06-25 at 18:40 -0700, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Well, I'm pretty sure that neither wish85 nor Pd will run without at least
> the dlls shipped in pd/bin.  I'm at a loss to figure out for sure what other
> DLLs must be present as well.  It looks like I'd better install a pristine
> Windows XP myself - I've asked at school if they have one handy, otherwise
> I'll run out and buy one somewhere - ugh!

If running Windows XP in a VirtualBox VM is a viable option for, you can
download a free and legal appliance (.ova-file) from MS:

http://dev.modern.ie/tools/vms/#downloads

The machine is limited to a 30 days trial period, but you can create
snapshots and switch back to them as often as you want. For testing
stuff like this, it's really convenient to be able to switch back to a
pristine state.

If you still need a permanent (i.e. not restricted) installation, you
might be able to get a copy from Microsoft's MSDNAA program. Usually,
members from academic institutions get access to a wide range of their
product palette, including operating systems. I wouldn't be surprised if
that applies to members of UCSD, too.

It feels awkward to read what I just wrote, though they really make it
easy nowadays. Times change...

Roman