[PD] Troubles running Pd on Windows XP Professional

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 08:15:59 CEST 2015

On Fre, 2015-06-26 at 21:46 +0200, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 06/24/2015 06:05 PM, Roman Haefeli wrote:
> > Assuming it might be a specialty of the install medium I used back then,
> > I got another copy of Windows XP as an .ova-file from here:
> > http://dev.modern.ie/tools/vms/#downloads
>

> though i'm under the impression that these VM images are mainly for
> testing IE - which may imply that the XP installation is deliberately
> stripped down compared to a "normal" installation. (which might explain
> your problems)

I'm under the impression that is not the case. I mean they're certainly
intended for IE testing, but I don't have any reason to think they're
stripped down. I installed all kinds of other tools on it
(GitExtensions, TortoiseSVN, mingw-w64, MSYS) and they all work fine.

Also, I have this problem _not only_ on this IE testing appliance, but
also with two different installations of Windows XP from an original CD.
I don't know what medium Chris McCormick used to install, but he has the
same problem, too.

People having used Windows XP over years very likely installed software
that ships with the redistributable Pd is asking for. So that is
probably why only some people experience this kind of problem while many
others don't. The Windows XP VirtualBox VM (not the
modern.ie-test-appliance) I initially experienced that problem withj I'm
using only for a single purpose and that is why I never installed
anything on it but the software used to fulfill the single purpose.

Now, I'm using this machine also for building and testing Pd and
externals.

Roman