[PD] tabread4~ interpolation at slooow playback?

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 14:26:14 CEST 2015

>  why? the interpolation noise is what makes it sound so unique, so crunchy

I am just noticing Jamal's note in this long thread.

*I actually agree with this!!*

What seems like a bug or annoyance at first
can actually turn out to have creative effect.

I have some spoken-word audio which is about 30-40 min. in to
a long WAV file. I am using [phasor~] -> [tabread4~] and am getting
the well-known noise issue due to the single-precision floats.

But when used appropriately, this kind of distortion can be quite
pleasurable!

Since this noise character changes as we move deeper into
a long buffer, I am thinking about ways I can easily recreate the particular
kind of distortion I get when I am reading between samples N to M of the
buffer... (I have yet to characterize precisely what values N, M are).

I want to be able to have this kind of crunch available
as an effect, even if the single precision issue is ever fixed!!

BH

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 7:06 AM, jamal crawford <threen52 at ml1.net> wrote:

> hey
>
> >Is there any way how to reduce the interpolation noise? Could I use a
> >low-pass filter whose cutoff frequency I could adapt wrt. playback
> >speed?
>
> why? the interpolation noise is what makes it sound so unique, so
> crunchy, without LP and especially at very sloooooow playback. with a
> good analog tube eq and pair of high end analog compressors, it sounds
> like garlic smear in my ears or maybe even chilli mayo :)
>
> cheers

May you, and all beings
be happy and free from suffering :)
-- ancient Buddhist Prayer (Metta)