[PD] How to force gem pix_film to use DirectShow

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Jul 1 21:58:39 CEST 2015

On 07/01/2015 09:41 PM, fz at mur.at wrote:
> Hi,
> I found a lot of info by searching but I want to be sure.- Do I force
> gem pix_film to use DirectShow with a message "open $1 1" ?

this will ask [pix_film] to use the 2nd available backend as first choice.
whether this is DirectShow or SchmozzelMozz depends on your installation.

a more consistent way is to use symbolic names, as in:
[open $1 RGBA DirectShow(
(the second argument "RGBA" is the colorspace you request; if you don't
care about a specific colorspace, you could also use "*" instead and
ignore the error message...)

but all these messages, only tell Gem to try the given backend as first
choice, and - if that backend fails to open the file - will try the
others as well. so it's not really *forcing* a specific backend.

the only way to force the use of DirectShow is to remove all the other
backends from the filesystem (prior to loading Gem), so that Pd/Gem
cannot find and thus cannot use them: in the same directory as Gem.dll,
you should find a couple of gem_film*.dll files. if you remove all of
them but gem_filmDS.dll, you can make sure that a film is only ever
opened with DirectShow (or not at all). if you remove all gem_film*.dll
files, you can make sure that no film can be opened.

gfamdsr
IOhannes