[PD] [ANN] HOA & Cream Library new releases

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 00:23:23 CEST 2015

On 07/01/2015 06:42 AM, Pierre Guillot wrote:
> > I'd be careful exposing the tk canvas api from within Pd.  It's a buggy
> > interface, as evidenced
> > by the off-by-one errors in the data-structure illustrations of Miller's
> > book.
>
> Hi Jonathan,

[...]

> The fact is that I don't draw directly in the pd's canvas for many
> many reasons.

I had a look at your wrapper code.  It is extremely well-organized and
readable, btw.

On the one hand, you're giving users/devs a much improved API with which
to create
and maintain GUI externals.  I've been porting Pd to a different toolkit
(and completely
away from tcl/tk), so I am intimately familiar with the many, many
reasons you don't
want to use or add to the existing widgetbehavior callbacks.

On the other, your improved API ends in Tk canvas subcommands, and thus
inherits
all the limitations and bugs of Tk canvas.  For simple/limited GUI
widgets it's possible to
workaround these problems-- in most cases the external developer can
hide the
problems completely from the end user.  But for complex things like a
drawing surface
those bugs and limitations are exposed fairly directly to the end user.

-Jonathan