[PD] [initbang] vs [loadbang]

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Jul 5 20:19:15 CEST 2015

On 07/05/2015 11:56 AM, Alexandros Drymonitis wrote:

> Is there a way to achieve the [initbang] effect in vanilla?

hmm.
most externals i know of have been coded as externals because there is
*no* way to achieve the same effect in Pd-vanilla (rather than - say -
for efficiency reasons).
so the simple answer is: no, there is no way.

but well: there are new generic classes to Pd added with every release,
so I guess what you wanted to ask is whether [initbang] could be done in
Pd-vanilla with recent enough versions.

the answer is still: no.

otoh, if you don't mind dirty tricks, the answer could also be "yes".
see attached patch. saving the "dynin.pd" abstraction, will break it.
using a different version of Pd might also break it.
it might have undesired side effects.
don't file bug-reports against Pd if the abstraction ever stops working.
you have been warned.

> Or is there any
> intention to include [initbang] in a future vanilla release?

iirc, there has been lengthy discussion about this on the list and on
the bug tracker.
the short answer is: "no, not in the current form".
afair, miller would prefer an argument to [loadbang] to select initbang
behaviour. and probably an alltogether different design.

> Also, can't seem to find any initbang.c or initbang.pd_darwin. I guess it's
> in a file that contains more classes and is called something else. Is there
> a way to find a binary or code to compile, so I can use [initbang] in
> vanilla on os x?

no.
[initbang] needs fundamental changes to the Pd-core. afaik it is
impossible to implement it as an external.

fmgdsar
IOhannes