[PD] Using midi

Pierre Massat pimassat at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 21:48:12 CEST 2015

Dear list,

I am trying to understand how midi works in Pd, and how to facilitate the
connection to a midi device.

I m using Pd 0.46-6 on AVlinux with JACK. When using JACK, OSS midi doesn't
work. ALSA does, but in an odd way (at least to me).

Pd doesn't appear as a writeable midi client in JACK by default, until I
ask Pd to open port 1 (or any non-zero positive integer it seems). I can
then automate the connection in JACK using a patchbay profile.

Is there no easier way ? Is it possible to save the midi device in Pd the
way sound settings are saved ? It would be nice if we could send a message
to Pd when loading a patch to open a specific midi port.

Cheers,

Pierre.