[PD] [filterview~]. Was: Wavesel~ external preview available as deken-type distribution. (Fred Jan Kraan)

Pierre Guillot guillotpierre6 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:18:51 CEST 2015

> The Cream examples I looked at, only used create, not move and color.

Indeed, you can't change the color or move a graphical object like tk does.
In fact I'm not sure that this operations are really optimized (it depends
on the OS) and I think this is mostly a kind of "shortcut" (whatever you
do, tk has to redraw all the changed area). I've try wavesel~, and my
approach would be to create a layer for the rectangle selection, a layer
for the whole waveform, a layer for the colored (selected) waveform. If you
change the buffer, you have to invalidate all the layers but if you change
only the selection, you just have to redraw the selection rectangle and the
selected waveform. You can use translation (with matrix) to facilitate and
perhaps optimize the drawing. One thing that can be useful is to save paths
but it isn't already implemented in the Cicm Wrapper (I'll try to look at
it if you want).

> If the object gets reasonable complete, I will rename it waveform~, and
> add it to cyclone. But it still can be added to other libraries too.

This is only a suggestion, I was thinking of making Cream a GUI library
only. That why wavesel~ and filterview~ would have been a really good
addition to the library. Perhaps a duplicate would bring confusing for
users and since Deken has been published I use cyclone so I will be able to
enjoy your externals even if they're not in the cream library :)

Cheers