[PD] LibXtract for Pd?

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 12:56:54 CEST 2015

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for your response. I cloned the repo to see the history, and
noticed a tendency of simplification: FFTW replaced by Ooura,
autotools build system replaced by makefiles. Nice! In fact the whole
library looks much simpler than one would expect for the given
functionality. Even the Pd and MaxMSP wrappers were amazingly small
and simple files.

For a library so systematic as LibXtract it makes sense to avoid
wrapper code duplication. But will the extra complexity and overhead
of Flext be justified in the case of these two wrapper externals plus
corresponding makefiles? If the build system is your main concern,
there may be a way to use a helper makefile like this for the Pd
external and adapt (arguments for) it to build the MaxMSP version:
https://github.com/pure-data/pd-lib-builder.

Katja