[PD] Computing advice for Pd outreach project

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 16:17:47 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 16/07/2015 08:42, Kerry Hagan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I run Pd Vanilla on a MacBook Pro, so I am at a loss here...
>
> I'm looking for the lowest-range laptop running a flavour of Linux to install Pd Vanilla needed for a specific use described below. As I've never purchased this, I'm looking for hive-mind experience.
>
> I don't need heavy hitting power, because it will be for outreach groups (kids from disadvantaged areas). We won't get into extremely intensive patching. I'm happy with built-in stereo out. The more laptops I can afford on a €12,000 grant (minus speakers, projectors and screens for the actual art installation) the better. At this stage, I just need to get quotes for the Irish Arts Council funding application.
>
> What laptop? What Linux distribution? Any gotchas I need to worry about (sound card issues, etc.)?

For this scenario I would go for any off-the-shelf "consumer" laptop.

AFAIK Dell offer rather cheap laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed, and I
guess Pd easily available on Ubuntu (but have no direct experience nor
am I affiliated with Dell whatsoever).
For your scenario I'd see machines with Linux preinstalled particularly
useful as you'd have them working 'out of the box' compared e.g. to
computers with windows pre-installed (and even secure boot etc.) and
risk of incompatible hardware.

My two cents.
Lorenzo.