[PD] partconv~ outputs silence

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 19 20:40:54 CEST 2015

On 2015-07-19 07:46 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 07/19/2015 10:52 AM, Fred Jan Kraan wrote:
>>
>> Some time ago I ran into probably the same issue; how to load an
>> array/table at load time, while said array/table is not guaranteed to
>> have loaded yet. From within an object there is nothing like a loadbang
>> AFAIK. I ended up setting a timer for one second (clock_new()) and load
>> the array/timer when it finishes.
>
> hmm, i wouldn't recommend that.
> having an external initialize itself after some arbitrary time is prone
> to hard-to-find errors. most likely the user doesn't know that something
> special is happening after 1000ms.
> they also might schedule their own initialization to happen "long enough
> after startup" (e.g. 1000ms), which will then somehow conflict.

I consider it a hack, not a proper solution. I mentioned it hoping to
get some clue on how to fix it properly here ;-).

> if you cannot use the table "as is" (and in [partconv~] you cannot), i
> think the object should use an (internal) loadbang for initialization.
> if the table is not ready at that time, the user should do a proper
> initialization on the patch side (after all, they are the only ones who
> can know when all required initialisation has taken place - and they can
> only know if the object don't break the process by doing it "somewhat
> later".

"internal loadbang" sounds about right. I will try to find out how
[loadbang] does its magic.
If it cannot be made to work, the table name probably shouldn't be an
argument to partconv~.

>> But the good news is that just preventing partconv~ to crash shouldn't
>> be too difficult.
>
> cool, and should be fixed.

There is already a patch ready for this that seems to work and doesn't
look too ugly.

> gfmdsar
> IOhannes

Greetings,