[PD] partconv~ outputs silence

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Mon Jul 20 00:04:02 CEST 2015

* Fred Jan Kraan <fjkraan at xs4all.nl> [2015-07-19 16:55]:
> On 2015-07-19 09:55 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> >
> > i *guess* that even for [partconv~] it would be enough to not access the
> > table-data before the DSP is started.
> > this might need major refactoring though.
>
> [partconv~] does access the table at DSP start, but somehow this doesn't
> work properly. I'll look into it.

Hi Fred, I am chiming in here beacause I discovered that partconv~ plays
its convolution kernel (table) once out of its output when DSP is turned
on.

And I discovered a similar related a few weeks ago (and reported them to
the original author). IOhannes, do you want me to file this as debian
package bug?

I found that the object plays a part of its convolution kernel out of
its outlet when switching tables using a "set ..." message with another
table name. At least this happens in my case. I somehow was able to
measure the length of this unintentional playback. In my case I have a
Pd table of 2048 samples length, partconv~ with 2048 as partition size,
and when I ask the object to (re)read the audio data from the table, it
plays a loud burping noise of approx. 4096 samples length.

It would of course be fantastic to be able to switch between tables without this.

best, Peter