[PD] Pure Data Buffir~ object

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Sat Aug 1 20:18:26 CEST 2015

Hi Julian,

Thank you for your report. I am not the expert, just one of the current
maintainers if the cyclone set of objects. I think the object works, but
maybe not as the Max object. If this is the case I will try to fix it.

> Hello,
>
> I am sorry to bother you but I have an important question about the
> buffir~ object.
> I hope you can help me with this. I am not too experiencd with PD but I
> try to make
> an Binaural-Renderer. I want to use the buffir~ object to convolve an IR
> to a signal.
> This works right now. But I want to change the IR used for convolving
> with the signal
> when the head orientation changes. I had a look at the MAX/MSP 5
> documentation
> as I understand this object was taken from MAX where the buffir~ object
> can be told
> to change the buffer~ object by using the set message. I tried this in
> PD but nothing
> happens. Obviously the IR is not loaded as there is no signal passing
> through the
> buffir~ object when using $1 as the name of the table and send a message
> [set tablename]
> to input 1 (the signal input where the clear message can be applied). Is
> this function
> not implemented in the PD buffir~ object? Or is there something I do wrong?

Note '$1' is not literary part of the name, just a placeholder of the
first element on the message (=list) you send to the object. If
something is wrong here, the console should contain an error message.
Also see the help on $-variables.

> I would be verry happy if could help me with this question! If this is
> not implemented
> and can't be worked around do you have any ideas how to solve my problem?
> Thank you very much in advance!

The attached patch is an adaptation of the help-patch, including a
second buffer to switch to. Yo need to open it and draw non-zero values
to get a signal through. It looks like you also have to provide the
offset and length arguments, as leaving them out results in zero -
meaning no useful convolution takes place.

When I have time, I'll check the behaviour of the Max5 object. It might
work better or more user friendly. But first on the planning are some
weeks vacation :-).

> Regards Julian Jochheim

Greetings,

Fred Jan

P.S. I added the pd-list in the reply, the main forum for issues like
this one (http://lists.puredata.info/listinfo/pd-list).