[PD] debugging externs with gdb in Linux

David Medine dmedine at ucsd.edu
Thu Aug 6 23:08:19 CEST 2015

Does anybody out there know how to use gdb to debug an extern in Linux?
I have used this method:
https://puredata.info/docs/developer/DebuggingPdExternals
on Mac and it seems to work fine, but on my Fedora 20 system, when I run

(gdb) add-symbol-file /path/to/my_extern.pd_linux

I get the message
The address where /path/to/my_extern.pd_linux has been loaded is missing

and when I tab to complete on

(gdb) attach pd.

it hits me with 60000 completions -- apparently all the symbols in Pd.

In any case, it doesn't work and when my extern crashes, pd's watchdog
starts barking at me and I can't use the debugger.

I know Miller has suggested actually building the extern into Pd and
doing a standard debugging session, but there has got to be a better
way. Suggestions?