[PD] debugging externs with gdb in Linux

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sat Aug 8 21:40:58 CEST 2015

On 08/06/2015 11:33 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I've never succeeded at this but never tried really hard.  My technique:
>
> run -nrt
>
> shuts up teh watchdog; and to get GDB to see the extern I just compile the
> extern into Pd itself.  (Add a source file to the makefile and two lines to
> m_conf.c).
>
> If soneone else knows the magic to get GDB to see symbols in a Pd extern I'd
> like to hear it too.

usually i just do a dummy run of pd+external, so that gdb loads all the
symbols and be done with it.

$ gdb --args pd -nrt -stderr -lib zexy
[...]
(gdb) run
[... quit Pd immediately ...]
(gdb) bp list2symbol_setup
(gdb) run

gfmdsr
IOhannes

PS a related question: is it only me or has `ddd` (graphical frontend
for gdb) stopped working?