[PD] [PD-announce] CMA Journal - Call for Submission - Issue Two

Carolina Bergonzoni carolina.bergonzoni at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 21:13:07 CEST 2015

Hello,

On behalf of the Editorial Committee of the Journal of Comparative Media Arts, please find inline below (and attached) our call for papers for the second publication of the CMA Journal. Please feel free to disseminate to your communities, students, faculty and recent grads/alumni.
We look forward to your submissions and a successful first issue of our Journal!

Cheers,
Carolina Bergonzoni
Editorial Committee, Journal of Comparative Media Arts
www.cmajournal.ca

About:

The Journal of Comparative Media Arts (CMA Journal) is an open-access, student-run peer-reviewed journal, taking up discussions and investigations within the creative, critical and cultural communities. Our goal is to publish the best of graduate, postgraduate and recent graduate essays and dissertations, presenting the pluralism of research within arts and culture and a forum for scholarly discourse. Engaging a transdisciplinary perspective, the CMA Journal encompasses contemporary concerns with a focus on visual arts and art history, cinema and moving-image studies, performance studies, and studies of computer-based arts. We welcome experimental and creative writing, works-in-progress, collaborations and lively debates that are critically engaged in the ever-shifting range and scope of the fields of critical and cultural studies.

ISSUE TWO: TERRITORY

Territory can convey belonging, ownership and familiarity; land, zones, expanses and boundaries that delineate, encompass and separate space and place. Territory can be inclusive or exclusive, public or private. How do we move through a territory - easily and self-assured? Timidly? Dangerously? The notion of territory is at once individual and collective, representing both visible and invisible boundaries weaving throughout our lives. It exists in myriad forms, constructed through connections; minute and macroscopic. Through the primacy of our bodies Territory is created, shattered, redrawn and recreated as we grow, develop, move, embody and interact with others and with our surrounding environment. The commons, a space of inclusivity where the people can converge, is public territory. Spaces in which to gather, rally, riot. Whose territory is this? Territory includes the interstitial spaces, alleyways and right-of-ways; no-person’s-land. Entering new territory can evoke a sense of adventure, exploration, self-awareness, personal development. Territory is uncharted, encroached upon, contested and occupied. They overlap and collide, extending into realms of culture, sexuality, and religion. Territory are lines drawn on a map, the path of a river, a habitat, a title; a jurisdiction, a political subdivision; a nation, a state, a province. The City of Vancouver takes up and takes over the unceded traditional territory of the Musqueam, Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations. What does territory mean living on Canada’s West Coast, and elsewhere? In our contemporary moment might it determine Canadian and provincial histories and futures? In what ways can we discuss reconciliation, a home on Native land? What is territory?

CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS

This is the Journal of Comparative Media Arts CFP for artworks, long papers, short papers and photo essays. The second publication of the CMA Journal invites submissions that consider the theme of TERRITORY. Every submission relevant to the study of contemporary, forward-thinking investigations in visual culture and the arts will be reviewed and considered.

Submissions will be accepted until October 1 2015, 23:59 PST.

SUBMISSION FORMAT

All submissions need to be the full length version of the paper.  Please submit Word documents (.doc or
.docx) or PDFs to the attention of the Peer Review Committee via email: submissions at cmajournal.ca
Submissions will be accepted until October 1 2015, 23:59 PST. Accepted submission will be published
online December 2015.
Contact the Editorial Committee via email: info at cmajournal.ca or through our online contact form.