[PD] dmx interfaces + Pd

Martin Peach chakekatzil at gmail.com
Mon Aug 10 20:24:57 CEST 2015

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 1:48 PM, Athos Bacchiocchi <
athos.bacchiocchi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I found someone using a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter as a dmx controller:
>
> http://stevenbreuls.com/2014/03/diy-usb-dmx-controller-for-under-10_2_ethernet_cable/
>
> I don't know for sure if it works or if it's lacking any important
> feature, but since DMX uses the same protocol (RS485) it seems a plausible
> solution.
>
> Coming to pd, I have no clear idea... a similar solution as Martin Peach's
> one, based on comport? Can comport be used with an "ethernet" output? Or is
> there any way to communicate through that ethernet output at a lower level?

It's a USB to RS485 adapter with an ethernet (RJ45) connector. The driver
chip is something by FTDI which works as a serial port. Using the latest
[comport] from svn it should be possible to set its baud rate to 250000 and
issue break commands at the start of each packet. so it should work.

Martin