[PD] Can an abstraction tell of something is connected to an [inlet~]

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 20:05:43 CEST 2015

*I have this common situation:*
I have an abstraction which has a parameter control visible to the parent
via graph-on-parent. Let's call the parameter $0-FOO

I want the user to be able to adjust the control via the GUI.
I also want to be able to drive $0-FOO via an inlet or a message.
And when that happens, I want the knob in the GUI to update
and show the current value.

When I set up

[inlet] -> [hsl]

Now the [hsl] cannot be moved via the GUI.
I am trying to find a way to solve this.

One possible solution is gate the inlet with a [spigot]
which would work if I could detect if something was
connected to the inlet or not.

*Q1: Is there a way for me to tell, inside an abstraction,*

*whether something is connected to a particular*
*[inlet] or [inlet~]?*

*Q2: *Or else *how can I read the output of a control *(e.g., hsl)
*and drive it also*? (this sounds like an application
for a syncho/servo)

Thanks!
BH

May you, and all beings