[PD] Can an abstraction tell of something is connected to an [inlet~]

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Aug 17 21:53:33 CEST 2015

On 08/17/2015 08:29 PM, William Huston wrote:
> I guess I left out an important detail.
>
> The control inlet is for PWM (duty cycle).
> I want high resolution so I use an [inlet~] and drive it at signal rate.
>
> So I actually must drive the [hsl] input with a [snapshot~].
>
> If I could tell if something was connected at the [inlet~],
> then I could gate the [snapshot~].
>
> Or maybe I only update the hsl if I see that the snapshot
> value is changing?

i *think* this is all ugly hacks.

Pd messages are perfectly capable of having a very high time resolution
(actually sub-sample accurate; that's better than what you get with
signals), so you might re-think your assumption of having to use signals
*here* (use [vline~] to convert numbers into signals sample-accurately).

> OK... I have some ideas now, thanks :)
>
> Would still like a way to tell if an inlet has an external connection.

answer is simple: you can't¹.

fmsad
IOhannes

¹however, this has been discussed before; so you might find some more
pointers in the archives.