[PD] jack autostart?

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Wed Aug 19 20:13:25 CEST 2015

Hi,

I just discovered that
 pd -jack
will start a jackd if there is none running already.

In src/s_audio_jack.c I found a comment saying that

	(If no JACK server exists, jack_client_open() will start uone up by
	default.  It's not clear whether or not this is desirable; see long Pd
	list thread started by yvan volochine, June 2013)

I would hereby vote for not starting the jackd server automatically, as
jackd would pick up any ~/.jackdrc present in the user's homedir, which
might not fit the desired sound card setup as ~/.jackdrc gets rewritten
by qjackctl with its most recently used settings.

Once users (such as me) start using multiple sound cards, at multiple
sampling rats, with multiple other parameters, it becomes very hard to
have Pd autostart jack with the desired settings automatically. It would
start jackd, but with possibly confusing and unwanted settings.

I changed the line 340 in src/s_audio_jack.c to
	jack_client = jack_client_open (client_name, JackNoStartServer, &status, NULL)
and recompiled and am happy with the new behavior.

cheers, P