[PD] jack autostart?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Aug 23 20:31:35 CEST 2015

On 08/19/2015 08:13 PM, Peter P. wrote:
> Hi,

in Debian (and derivatives, like Ubuntu), starting with
puredata_0.46.6-1, jack autostart has been disabled (see the
"fix_dont_autostart_jack.patch" at [1]).

> I would hereby vote for not starting the jackd server automatically, as
> jackd would pick up any ~/.jackdrc present in the user's homedir, which
> might not fit the desired sound card setup as ~/.jackdrc gets rewritten
> by qjackctl with its most recently used settings.

but this was not the reason, as i think it's rather simple to work
around (just don't automatically pick jack as Pd's audio backend; and
make sure that jack is running with the correct setting before you
switch audio to "jack")

the reason why i *was* changed is, that once jack has been autostarted,
it is impossible to quit Pd properly (most likely due to the fork-off of
pd-gui; but i haven't been able to properly track it down).

but anyhow, i agree: i would also vote for disabling jack-autostart, as
it makes more trouble than it solves.

fgmrdsa
IOhannes

[1]