[PD] perceived loudness

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Aug 25 10:57:50 CEST 2015

On 08/24/2015 05:29 PM, school shoes wrote:
> hello
> I understand that our ears perceive midrange sounds as louder than very low or very high ones. I am wondering if there is some sort of simple method or formula or object that compensates for the perceived difference in volume, so that if i have say a patch randomly generating osc~ frequencies between 50 and 15000 hz, the volume [*~] of each frequency can be adjusted so that they all have the same overall presence?
> thanks in advance.

there's [mtx_phon_curves] (in iemmatrix) which uses an approximation
formula for the phon curves.
being a matrix object¹, it takes a vector of sinusoidal components and
outputs the relative gains.

gfmrsa
IOhannes

¹ i have no clue why this is in the iemmatrix toolbox, and not a general
scalar object.