[PD] How does vline~ work under the hood?

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 3 03:52:16 CEST 2015

It'll have more to do with how large the increment is, and what an
increment means psychoacoustically. If you ramp over the range of a piano
in pitch over a second, incrementing every 64 samples, each increment will
be about 12.5ยข, which is likely to be audible. Or if you ramped from 20hz
to 20khz in frequency, you'd be adding some 28hz per increment, which is a
lot of pitch at the low end.
Doesn't the audibility of zipper noise depend on the duration of the ramp?

I seem to remember some Supercollider tutorials that used Line.kr with
a duration of a second or so, and I don't remember hearing zipper noise.
(Also
made a little Pd demo using [bang~] and a counter, but I don't know what I
did with it.)

-Jonathan