[PD] array-abs

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Tue Oct 6 01:46:23 CEST 2015

Thanks for the testing! That's very illustrative and I can confirm an analogous behaviour: When nothing is connected to the outlet of [array get]->[drip] resp. [until]->[tabread], [drip] will be about 10 times faster, no matter how many elements you're accessing. But as soon as you start adding math objects, the advantage of [drip] gets eaten up by and by. After adding 20 [exp] objects, they will both take about the same time - which is actually quite logical when I think of it...

So you totally have a point there! Although being 10x faster for light math objects might help in some live situations... The only thing [array drip] would provide for sure is some convenience, which could justify the expense of having another C object :-p.

A 'drip' (or call it 'iterate') method for [list] would probably be more important, since there's no practical vanilla solution at all, as we have seen (except for [list-drip] which uses only vanilla objects, but isn't really part of the Pd vanilla distributions).

Christof