[PD] readsf~ and writesf~, locking, blocking and real-time priority

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 6 05:10:31 CEST 2015

1) One thing I noticed is that the article you cited seems to focus
on tasks not critical to the computation/delivery of audio samples.For example, if your program were blocking or locking in order to do a GUIupdate.  But here, the data must arrive in time to compute the next block.  If ittakes too long to read the next portion of the sound file, then you're going to geta glitch.
But I'm not sure I really grasp how locking works, nor really the whole file i/oprocess in general.

Here's a naive question: why can't you just tell the OS to treat the file asif it were a non-blocking socket, add the fd to Pd's event loop with
sys_addpollfn, and then receive the incoming data to the relevant function?(Warning: some or all of the above may technically be gibberish...)

-Jonathan