[PD] MIDI connection problem with commandline-parameters

cornicis cornicis at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 8 13:39:14 CEST 2015

Hi all,

I have a strange problem since upgrading my Raspberry Pi 2 to Debian
Jessie and PureData 0.46.7: MIDI stopped working on pd-startup by
setting the commandline-parameters.

In detail:
An Arduino MIDI-Controller is connected via USB to the RPi2. No changes
have been made to this, and MIDI send seems to work in ALSA.
Some data to proof:

$ ls /dev/midi*
/dev/midi1

$ aconnect -l
Client 0: 'System' [Typ=Kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
Client 14: 'Midi Through' [Typ=Kernel]
    0 'Midi Through Port-0'
Client 20: 'Arduino Leonardo' [Typ=Kernel]
    0 'Arduino Leonardo MIDI 1'

Pressing buttons and listening:
$ aseqdump -p 20
Waiting for data. Press Ctrl+C to end.
Source  Event                  Ch  Data
 20:0   Note on                 1, note 45, velocity 64
 20:0   Note off                1, note 45, velocity 64
 20:0   Note on                 1, note 45, velocity 64
 20:0   Note off                1, note 45, velocity 64
[...]

Hence my Raspberry gets the sent midi notes from the Arduino.

However, starting puredata with "puredata -d 3 -verbose -nogui -alsamidi
-midiindev 1  -listdev puredata/miditest.pd" won't get any MIDI input
(miditest.pd is just printing incoming midi notes).

$ puredata -d 3 -verbose -nogui -alsamidi -midiindev 1  -listdev
puredata/miditest.pd
audio input devices:
1. snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus (hardware)
2. snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus (plug-in)
3. Arduino Leonardo (hardware)
4. Arduino Leonardo (plug-in)
audio output devices:
1. snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus (hardware)
2. snd_rpi_hifiberry_dacplus (plug-in)
3. Arduino Leonardo (hardware)
4. Arduino Leonardo (plug-in)
API number 1

MIDI input devices:
1. ALSA MIDI device #1
MIDI output devices:
1. ALSA MIDI device #1
input channels = 2, output channels = 2
Pd-0.46.2 ("") compiled 07:48:11 Oct 29 2014
tried /home/pi/utzmachine/puredata/miditest.pd and succeeded
priority 6 scheduling enabled.

/usr/lib/puredata/bin/pd-watchdog
Opened Alsa Client 128 in:1 out:0

By using "aconnect 20, 128" manually after Alsa-Client gets openend in
PD I can connect the MIDI controller and get MIDI input printed:

[...]

MIDI: 45 64 2
MIDI: 45 0 2

I tried various parameter combinations for -midiindev and even tried the
new -midiaddindev but no success. This leaves me clueless, has any
configuration changed? I'm compiling 0.46.7 right now and draw some hope
from that (using these steps:
http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-list/2014-11/108543.html), but I
wonder why noone else seems to have this problem. I guess I missed
something...
Sorry for the extensive data, I hope it's helpful at least.

Cheers,
Daniel