[PD] MIDI connection problem with commandline-parameters

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu Oct 8 16:05:53 CEST 2015

On 2015-10-08 15:09, cornicis via Pd-list wrote:
> Thanks for the fast response!
>
> On 08.10.2015 13:55, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> On 2015-10-08 13:39, cornicis via Pd-list wrote:
>>> won't get any MIDI input
>>> (miditest.pd is just printing incoming midi notes).
>> isn't this what you want? if you don't get MIDI input, how can it print
>> incoming midi notes?
> I guess there's some misunterstanding, I don't think that miditest.pd or
> generally PD-MIDI is faulty, you're completely right: as long as nothing
> is connected, nothing can get printed.

ah yes.
i thought that your alsa-midi was not working at all.
iirc, Pd doesn't create the MIDI-ports if you just specify "-alsamidi".

> My problem lies in having my MIDI-controller connected on PD-startup.

however, your problem is more like Pd not automtically autoconnecting to
devices.
this is by design (it's a feature, not a bug).

>>> $ puredata -d 3 -verbose -nogui -alsamidi -midiindev 1  -listdev
>> try "-mididev 2" (or "-midiindev 2" if you prefer)
>  I retried, but I already tested various configurations. For now I tried:
> -mididev and -midiindev with parameters 0/1/2/3/20/21
> -midiaddindev 'Arduino Leonardo' and 'Arduino Leonardo MIDI 1' which
> unfortunately didn't open any ALSA Client.

that won't work.

the only way to have a device automatically connect to your Pd MIDI port
is by letting some third party software manage the connections.

you *could* use the [aconnect] external, but i would advise to use
something more highlevel like a persistent patchbay in qjackctl (which
despite it's name is *not only* for jack)

fgasdnr
IOhannes