[PD] help with pdf~ object (zexy)

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Oct 13 20:34:40 CEST 2015

On 10/13/2015 08:19 PM, Benoit Fortier wrote:
> Ok thanks IOhannes, it was very counterintuitive to me but I think I understand this now : in the help patch, the pdf~ object draws a probability density fonction of values between -1 and 1 in an array (the size of the array can be specified as an argument) by doing a density estimation of the flow of samples coming in the signal inlet of the object. Thats what I needed to understand, but if, for the record, anyone want to complete this explanation or correct me on something I get wrong, i’d be happy to read you.

great.
the only thing that is not accurately correct, is that [pdf~] doesn't do
an estimation.
it just *counts* how often each (quantized) value appears and outputs
that measurement (normalized by the total number of samples encountered).
that's why the result gets better the more samples it observes.

gfmsadr
IOhannes