[PD] Coll object Was: cartopol~ and poltocar~

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Sat Oct 17 16:58:32 CEST 2015

Hi Jonathan,

> Hi Fred Jan,
> I suppose what I am asking is if the read/write bang outlet happens
> depth-first
> in Max, or not.

The test patch in Max 5 looked more or less like this:
[bang(

[t b b]
 |    \
 |    [read test.coll(
 |     |
[dump( |
 \     /
 [coll]
  |  |
 [print]

[coll] and [print] have only one inlet. The right line is connected to
the third outlet. A collection (100 pairs) is present in the test.coll.
The bang is printed first, the list after that.

If I interpret this correctly, the [read test.coll( is executed depth
first. Just like in cyclone.

> If it does not, then it means Max _is_ sacrificing predictability for
> performance
> in that case.  As long as we can predict that it will not crash, I think
> at least having that option would be important for compatibility.
>
> -Jonathan

Fred Jan