[PD] Coll object Was: cartopol~ and poltocar~

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sat Oct 17 19:05:04 CEST 2015

So, I just did a test patch in Max7 and here's what I found out.

When scheduler is not in overdrive, there are no xruns when I randomly
load files with 5000 entries filled with lists with them being loaded 10
times per second. As I increase the rate, the speed remains the same,
suggesting that when scheduler is not in overdrive, Max in its
interrupts waits until loading is complete and no other non-signal
operations are performed. This is further confirmed by issuing a [t b 1
b] to coll where rightmost b leads to random loading of one of the
files, middle request first index, and left bangs directly into print
(see attached screenshot). They are always in sync. As I increase rate
to more than 10 times per second, the loading of files remains fairly
steady (keep in mind this is on a fairly new MBP with SSD, so overhead
of loading files should be considerably less than on a conventional HD
with spinning plates), suggesting that system cannot cope with faster
requests and so the UI and all interrupt-driven requests experience
major slowdown and the system fails to obey timed events that are driven
by a steady pulse (e.g. metro). There are no dropped audio samples in
this case.

When scheduler is in overdrive but not in audio interrupt, things get a
bit more interesting because when I increase loading rate beyond 10 per
second, I get output of data followed by the leftmost bang directly into
print, whereas done loading bangs are piled up and delayed until I
toggle off the metro that keeps issuing load requests and then suddenly
I get all those done loading bangs bunched up at the end which seems to
me like a major breakage in determinism. There are still no dropped
audio samples.

When scheduler is in overdrive *and* in audio interrupt (which AFAICT
then matches Pd's behavior where things absolutely must happen during
the interrupt), at 10 loads per second things seem ok. Increasing rate
at which files load start introducing determinism failures (see red
highlighted area on the console in the attached screenshot where two
done loading bangs are right next to each other--my guess is that outlet
may be deferred to a lower priority), and when that rate reaches even
higher, suddenly audio output bails and the entire thing stops working
until closing and reloading the patch.

Max7 appears to lack parallel processing check (which probably means it
is always enabled). Just in case, I tested the same patch with all
settings and parallel processing enabled in Max6. Increasing the number
of loads starts failing around 40 loads per second, the system starts
dropping samples, and the console output becomes irregular with a
growing number of determinism failures and eventually crashes.

So, as far as I can tell, Max is a mixed bag of tricks where it does not
do threaded file i/o. Instead, when scheduler is not in audio interrupt
(which seems to me in and of itself breaks determinism whenever there is
a  steady non-signal pulse and/or when non-signal being transformed into
signal and vice-versa) it simply does things as fast as it can and
ignores the rest. OTOH, threaded coll in pd-l2ork prevents processing of
new load requests until the old one has been serviced, which to me seems
like the sanest of options given pd's strict commitment to following
determinism and in interrupt processing of non-signal data flow,
needless to mention it also prevents crashes and dropped samples, like
the ones I observed in Max...

HTH

Ico