[PD] Coll object Was: cartopol~ and poltocar~

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sun Oct 18 06:34:39 CEST 2015

On 10/17/2015 03:16 PM, Fred Jan Kraan wrote:

> On 2015-10-17 05:57 PM, Jonathan Wilkes wrote:
>> Fred Jan,
>> Now that's interesting.  Thanks for testing it.
>>
>> What happens with larger data sets? One thousand, ten thousand, etc.
> Same result for 10.000 items; first the bang, then the result from the
> dump. No interruption of the sound.
Now try that same patch on RPi and load five or ten files per second and
chances are you will have xruns (order should remain the same, no matter
what). Also, testing these in hypothetical/light cases where pd does
nothing else of significance is unlikely to give you a real-world
picture. FWIW, in L2Ork one of the biggest xrun culprits has been [coll]
and data structures with large screen redraws that stole too much cpu
away from audio processing thread, despite all the optimizations and
prioritizations/lowlatency kernel/etc. Now, some of it is undoubtedly
svg-enabled canvas and tkpath, some may be Ubuntu and its Unity desktop.
Still, switching to threaded coll solved most of the problems. Another
thing to consider, Max tests I shared earlier were performed on a fully
loaded last gen MBP...

Best,

Ico