[PD] Set of objects for beat-oriented timing?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 12:07:55 CEST 2015

On Mon, 2015-10-19 at 02:29 -0400, Spencer Russell wrote:
> Is there a set of objects for expressing beat-relative timing? I’m
> thinking of a [beatclock] that sends out beat messages and a set of
> objects like [beatmetro], [beatdelay~], etc. that act like their
> ms-based counterparts but receive the beat clock and respond to tempo
> changes. Probably a general-pupose [beatms] that just outputs the beat
> period in ms for use with objects that aren’t wrapped in the library.
>
> If not I’ll probably build some, but I figured I’d check to see if the
> community already has something nice to solve this problem, as I’m
> sure it’s come up before.

For netpd I wanted a master clock and a way to create different timings
that stay in sync with the master also while changing tempo.

One issue was to be able to change tempo mid-period. [rh_metro] does
that.

Another issue was to have a 4/4 master clock and derive any arbitrary
integer division timing of it (for instance: 13/8 means 'create 13 ticks
within the period of 8 regular ticks'). [master-poly] takes the main
clock from the master.pd patch and takes the poly timing as arguments or
as message. Unfortunately, the code is not optimally modularized to be
of general use outside of the netpd context, though the technical
problems are tackled.

But then, shortly after I was working on that, a new Pd version with the
timing classes support many new methods was released. So, with newer Pds
those kind of timing problems can be solved much more elegantly and with
much less code.

If you're still interested in having a look at the netpd stuff, check:
* abs/rh_metropd
* patches/master.pd
* abs/master-poly.pd
from https://github.com/reduzent/netpd2-patches